Pages

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Breakfast Casserole

This recipe was inspired by my step-mom, who often makes a similar recipe (if not the exact same thing) when my husband and I go home for the weekends or for holidays.  I probably should've asked for her recipe; however, the person that I am likes to make a challenge out of most things and try them on my own first (often times without a recipe), just to ask for help later.

Also, I'll be honest, to many of you, the pictures I took of this recipe will look like a huge heart attack waiting to happen; however, believe it or not, you can make it A LOT healthier than what I did.  As is typical, you can add or take out whatever you want (except the eggs and the hashbrowns) that will satisfy your breakfast cravings.

Breakfast Casserole


Ingredients:

  • large bag of shredded hashbrowns
  • 2 dozen large eggs
  • 1 lb. of ground sausage (I used sausage links because that's what we already had.)
  • 1 package of bacon (take it or leave it)
  • 4 tbs. of milk
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 cup of cheddar cheese
Directions:
  1. Spray or grease a 9 in. by 13 in. pan with cooking spray or shortening.
  2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
  3. Line the bottom of the pan with the shredded hashbrowns.
  4. Cook up the sausage and the bacon.  Crumble the sausage and bacon on top of the hashbrowns in the pan once fully cooked.  I would honestly advise using one or the other, but my husband is a meat-a-holic and wanted both.
  5. Crack the 2 dozen eggs into a bowl.  Add the 4 tbs. of milk to make a little fluffier along with a pinch of salt and pepper.  Pour the egg mixture over the hashbrowns and meat.
  6. Place in the oven for about an hour or until the egg looks fully cooked.
  7. Add the cup of cheese on top of the casserole and cook for 5 more minutes.
  8. Once it's done, let it cool a little bit and serve to your family.
Casserole Before being cooked
Casserole after being cooked

Honestly, this pan will probably last him about a week and a half or so (Lord-willing).  Like I mentioned before, if you're not a big fan of all of the meat, feel free to add vegetables to it like peppers or onions, whatever you feel might be good in it.

Hope you enjoy it!  Happy eating!!

Jenni

No comments:

Post a Comment