Pages

Monday, August 1, 2011

Apple Dumplings

I've been more curious about baking gluten-free desserts probably more than I should; however, I figure trying out desserts (at least for me) is the best way to start gluten-free baking.  I was contemplating what kind of yummy desserts I could make using Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour with the help of Bob's Red Mill Xanthan Gum.

Anyways, one of the yummiest desserts I remember from growing up are apple dumplings.  The church I grew up in would do a couple of Saturdays creating apple dumplings to sell at the local county fair late in August.  I was also inspired by one of our friends, Laura, whose version of apple dumplings are slightly different than what I had grown up with.

With those two ideas in mind, I decided to create my own version of apple dumplings (using some of their ideas, leaning more towards Laura's idea).

Apple Dumplings

Ingredients:
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
  2. Mix the gluten-free flour, xanthan gum, and salt together.
  3. Add the shortening, which may cause the dough to become crumbly.
  4. Add 1 to 1 1/4 cups of milk.  Mix together.
  5. Peel, core, and cut the apples into chunks.
  6. Mix the sugar and cinnamon together, and slice the 1/2 stick of butter into slices.
  7. Take part of the dough and roll it out to the desired thickness, preferably large enough to cover the bottom and the sides of an 8 in. by 8 in. baking pan.
  8. Place the dough into the bottom of a greased 8 by 8 in squared baking pan.
  9. Put about half of the apple chunks into the bottom of the dough.
  10. Sprinkle about half of the sugar/cinnamon mixture over the apples.
  11. Place several slices of the butter on top of the apples and sugar/cinnamon mixture.
  12. Take about half of the dough that's leftover and roll out with a rolling pin.  Place over the layer of apples.
  13. Use the last of the apples on the middle layer along with the sugar/cinnamon mixture as well as the butter slices.
  14. Take the last bit of the dough, roll out to cover the top.  Lightly sprinkle the sugar/cinnamon mixture on top of the last layer of dough.
  15. Place into the oven for about an hour until it is done!!
Serve with ice cream!!!!

I will say the pictures I am about to post don't necessarily do it justice, but it does taste very yummy.  I will be honest too that I sincerely do not own a rolling pin, so the dough didn't get nearly as thin as I wanted.  Also, I'd recommend using the extra 1/4 cup of milk so that the dough doesn't become as crumbly.

Apple Dumplings Pre-baked

Apple Dumplings Baked

Apple Dumplings Before Yummy Eatng time!!!
Like I said...the pictures don't do it justice! I hope you enjoy!!!

Happy Eating!!!

Jenni

No comments:

Post a Comment