Pages

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Beginnings of the Confusion...

So...in attempting cook this week in an 85 degree house, I was contemplating of creating a blog of my experiences in cooking gluten-free meals for my husband.  Now you're probably thinking to yourself, "Why would any sane person cook if their house is 85 degrees?"  Well...first of all, I knew we needed to eat cheaply, and secondly, I needed to keep my mind off of the heat by...somehow adding to the heat.  Yes, I realize that makes absolutely no sense, but that's all right.

Now, you're probably wondering why I'm trying to do gluten-free meals for my husband.  Well, ironically enough, a few months ago, he started complaining of his stomach hurting.  It went from a dull, constant ache (from what I remember) to almost stabbing pains.  He went to the doctor who suggested he take medications the relieve some of the pain; however, those were just a temporary fix.  Meanwhile, close friends of ours had a son who was having some health issues and some of their family recommended that they try going dairy-free and gluten-free for a while to see if their son would feel better.  They tried it out and he did.  Well...it made me think...maybe we should try to get rid of some (actually all of it as much as possible) of the gluten in our diet (or at least my husband's diet).  We tried it for a few days and it worked.

Now...I will say that he's not 100% gluten-free all of the time, but I try to help out as much as possible.  At the beginning, I was so confused as to where to look or what to consider making or even how to go about making gluten-free meals.  Over time, I've adapted some of my recipes that I've used in the past, as well as tried new recipes.

I will try to include some of my findings in case anyone else is stuck without knowing where to go or what to do.  Honestly, I still have a lot to learn, but if I can help someone else out...I'm more than happy too!!

Happy cooking!!

Jenni

No comments:

Post a Comment