Pages

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Strawberry Shortcake

This evening I happened to fix one of the casseroles (I'll post that recipe later) I prepared earlier in the week as dinner.  As the casserole was baking, I was thinking, "I really need to try a dessert with the gluten-free flour that we have to see how it turns out."  Well...I decided to do just that.  I had peered into the refrigerator and remembered that we had strawberries and I didn't want them to go bad before I was able to use them.  So...strawberry shortcake it was!!!

I typically use a recipe from a cookbook that I was given at Christmas within the last 5 years or so.  It's actually really yummy (gluten-free or not)!  It comes from the cookbook, Taste of Home Mom's Best Meals and was entered by Karen Wingate of Kansas.  The recipe is called (not by me, but by the original creator) "Mom's Strawberry Shortcake."

The recipe calls for:
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar (divided)
  • 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour (my slight amendment)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon xanthan gum (my amendment)
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 to 1 1/2 quarts fresh strawberries, sliced
  • Whipped cream
  • Mint leaves, optional
Since I used Bob's Red Mill Gluten-free All-Purpose Flour, I added a teaspoon of Xanthan Gum (also from Bob's Red Mill) to help replace the gluten from the regular all purpose flour.  Both of those can be found in Kroger.  If you have someone in your family who happens to be diabetic, you can also replace the sugar with Splenda or any other sugar alternative you're willing to try cooking with.

The rest of the directions include (with some of my side-notes):
  1. In a mixing bowl, beat eggs on medium speed for 3 minutes.  Gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored.
  2. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; beat into the egg mixture.
  3. Heat milk and butter just until butter begins to melt.  
  4. Beat into batter with vanilla (batter will be thin).
    • Trust me...it'll be thin!  It was thin pre-gluten-free and now gluten-free.
  5. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan.
    • This is actually the best type of pan to use in order for it to cook evenly and completely.
  6. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
  7. Cool for at least 10 minutes; then, cut into squares (about 9 servings).
  8. Dish up the shortcake, strawberries, and whipped cream with the garnish of mint leaves (if you choose).
The recipe continues on with other steps between 7 and 8, but I don't normally do the last portions (so I won't give them to you).  Usually while the shortcake is baking, I cut up the strawberries into small pieces and use the remaining sugar to mix in with the strawberries.  I put them back into the refrigerator until we're ready to eat them.

Shortcake

Yes, I realize that I didn't do a couple of things from the recipe that I just gave. First of all, I didn't use an 8-in. squared pan because the only one I have was being used for the casserole (recipe later to be posted).  Secondly, you're probably wondering why the center caved in a little.  Well, I actually had ended up letting the shortcake in the oven for 27 minutes rather than the 25 to compensate for the difference in dishes.  Honestly...I probably should've let it go for about 3 minutes longer (making the total 30 minutes for this dish size).  I will say that although the middle flopped a little, the rest of it was completely cooked and it was quite yummy. When I use the 8-in. squared pan, the shortcake does turn out fully cooked within the 25 minutes called for in the recipe.

I will try to have more pictures for the next time I fix it!!  You should try it out!  Enjoy!!

Jenni

No comments:

Post a Comment